Monday, September 26, 2011

Geocaching with kids

Taking the kids Geocaching always adds to the adventure but there are some things to do to make it successful.
Plan ahead: when choosing what types of caches to include in the pocket query decide what your kid’s abilities are
Types of cache
Traditional
Letterbox
Containers
Regular
Large
That
  I haven’t found
  Are not on my ignore list
  Is enabled
  Found in the last 7 days
  Have travel bugs
Attributes to include
Recommended for kids
Public restrooms nearby
Attributes to exclude
Dangerous area
Dangerous animals
Poison plants
The problem with a pocket query with these strict criteria is I only ended up with five in a 100 mile area. When I took travel bugs off the results went up to 17 when I took off the nearby public restrooms the results jumped to 122. I did not plan on taking the kids far so I put the search to 30 miles I came up with 23. Once you have a good list like this hit the blue ribbon on the top of the menu, this will put the caches with the most favorite votes at the top. Make a note of these and be sure to visit these caches.

No comments:

Post a Comment